Thursday 24 January 2013

Sale-A-Bration 2013 Jewellery Making 101

Before I start I have to warn you I am no jewellery maker, in fact this was my 1st attempt ever at making jewellery.

I was looking at the Soda Pop Caps that are available in the Seasonal Catalogue ( February 1st, 2013) & was thinking now what am I going to do with those!  I googled them & saw that you could make jewellery out of them so figured, why not give it a go?

 The Soda Pop Tops come in two sizes so this was perfect for what I was about to do.    I squashed them in my big shot with the platform on tab 1, & sandwiched them between two old cutting plates.  I placed mine flat side down, but it works both ways.  I wanted to make a Sale-A-Bration version so used the Sycamore Street DSP as my background.   Now, my 1st attempt didn't work so well.  I used the butterfly out of the Lovely Little labels set & also the matching Little Labels punch then used Crystal Effects to set it all in place.  The ink bled but it still looked cute!

Stampin Up! Soda Pop Top Necklace

After that disaster I decided to heat emboss the picture which helped a little when the Crystal Effects goes on.  Here is my 2nd attempt.  This time I used the owl from the new Itty Bitties stamp set (Available February 1st).  To anyone who has put their set together I want to congratulate you - the stamps in this set are seriously small!  For the purpose of making this jewellery the smaller the stamp image the better though. 

Soda Pop Top Jewellery Set
 Once again I have to re-iterate I am no jewellery maker and this was my 1st attempt ever at making anything jewellery related.  It was not that hard as long as you buy some links (also know as Jump Rings) to attach your necklace/earrings to the Soda pop top.  I got mine at Spotlight in a bag of 20 for $2.  The earrings were in a bag of 10 for $2.85 & the necklace I made from twine & the Sycamore Street Tagerine Tango Ribbon (Free during Sale-A-Bration).   To make the hole in the Soda Pop Tops I punched the edge after I squashed them by using the 1/16" Circle handheld punch.  It punches through the metal easily.  The final step is to cover the image in the Pop Top with Crystal Effects.  I filled mine to the top.  Leave for 24hrs at least to dry.  Attach Jewellery items.  These would make nice charms or even scrapbook embellishments too.  

And here is my daughter wearing the set.....She loved them & if you look closely I even made a ring to match.
Earrings made with the small Soda Pop Tops

Then I thought....hmmmm those Designer Builder Brads in the Seasonal Catalogue also look kind of like jewellery.  SO, I had a go at making a set with those too!  The circle in these is so small I just added the Sycamore Street DSP but they look really nice don't you think?  

Jewellery Set made from Designer Build a Brads (seasonal catalogue)
 I made a matching ring using the Designer Builder Brads as well.  As long as you remove the brad prongs from the back, these sit nice & flat on a ring base.   
Ring made from the Designer Build a Brads
Stamp Sets:  Itty Bitties (Seasonal Catalogue Available February 1st), Lovely Little Labels.
Paper:  Whisper White, Tangerine Tango, Island Indigo, Sycamore Street DSP.
Ink:  Island Indigo, Tangerine Tango.
Cool Tools: Designer Builder Brads, Soda Pop Tops(Seasonal Catalogue),  Sale-A-Bration Tangerine Tango & Island Indigo Ribbon, 1 1/6" circle Handheld Punch, Itty Bitty Punch Pack, Little Labels Punch Pack, Crystal Effects, Big shot. 
NON SU PRODUCT: Jump Rings, Ring Base, Earring hooks, Chain.

Thanks For Looking,
TRICIA  

5 comments:

  1. Those are really cool! I might have have to try that. I would never have thought to make a ring, it's cute.
    I haven't gotten any new stuff yet. I haven't seen that stamp set but I've been reading people's posts about how small they are & how time consuming it is to mount them all. Especially if you want to trim the rubber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. The itty bitty stamp set is not fun to assemble. Mine took over an hour, but then I was being very particular. The best part is they fit inside the builder brads centres. The halloween ones would be great for "scary jewellery".

      Delete
  2. Those are great, Tricia. I had thought of making earrings and pendants from both the bottle caps and the Build-a-brads but hadn't imagined a ring. The ones you made look great (or else it's the model). Don't you just love using Crystal Effects? It is such a fantastic embellishment for so many things, including flower centres and dew drops on petals. I know what you mean about those stamps in the little itty bitties set. My goodness what a tiny lot they are! And the rubber hasn't been cut, either. I doubt they'll last past this Mini Catalogue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the model Heidi lol. Yes I think there needs to be an itty bitties recovery group for those people that have put the whole set together. I have only just discovered crystal effects and all it's wonderful uses.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, these are yours, too? I Pinned these the other day for future inspiration. They're fabulous! Although I have to say I had no luck when I tried to punch a hole in a bottle cap using that punch. Will have to have another go.

    ReplyDelete